DONATE TO MICKEY'S FUND

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

On October 30th my sons life was spared. Today, we weren't so lucky with his leg. This morning when the trauma orthopedic team came in to check on Alec he made the heroic decision to amputate his right leg!  Of all of the things I have been so proud of him for in his life, I have NEVER been more proud than I am today. He has more strength and character than anyone I have ever known. He handled this with dignity and love. Even with others telling him to wait and all of his options weighed, he knew what was best for him. As a mother who gave birth to this beautiful baby who had two perfect legs and ten perfect toes I have never been through anything harder. With conflict and others telling me it wasn't the right decision, my job is to love, support and trust my son. When the surgery was over, the Doctor said it was absolutely the right decision. His entire leg was filled and oozing with infection. If we would have waited even 24 more hours we probably would have lost his leg up to his hip and who knows about it getting into his organs. We again have had tender mercies and the Lord has helped Alec mentally and emotionally prepare for this. He is awesome and amazing! I love my son and have never been more proud of him!

5 comments:

  1. That decision was definitely for the best. He is young and tough -- this won't phase him! I couldn't imagine having to make that decision, he is definitely the strongest kid I know. Definitely a McMorris and a Kellogg! Love you all and thinking about you always. It kills me so badly that I can't be there, but from what I hear it sounds like you guys have great support from so many people. Continue staying strong! Sending my love from Florida <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, your strength and Alec's amazes me!!!! Hang in there!!! You can do hard things!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie, I'm so incredibly sorry. My heart is aching for you. As a mother, even with that being the best decision for him, it would still be so hard. His strength is inspiring. What a brave decision. Hopefully now the healing can begin. I don't have the right words to say, but please know that I think of you all constantly and I'm praying for you. I hope Alec is able to use his sense of humor to cope and that he uses this as motivation to accomplish GREAT things in life. He has the opportunity to inspire greatness in a lot of people by his example despite this tragedy. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alec, your a brave young man with an adventurous new future to explore ahead of you. Our prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete